Containment Sump Testing
Simard and Sons is ready to assist with keeping you in compliance with the new Containment Sump Testing requirements recently enacted by the EPA and Maine Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) under Chapter 691 Rules for Underground Oil Storage Facilities revised September 26, 2018.
Containment Sump Testing Requirements:
- Containment sumps must be tested every three years in accordance with DEP Chapter 691 5(D)(18) by a Maine Certified Underground Oil Storage Tank Installer or Inspector. The testing will verify that the sump is liquid tight and prevent potential product release into the environment. Sumps that are double walled and monitored with either a mechanical or electronic sensor are excluded from this requirement.
- A sump must also be tested upon installation and completion of any repairs to ensure the containment sump is liquid tight.
- The owner shall have any failures detected during testing repaired as necessary within 120 days, or replaced within 180 days.
- Containment sump test results must be submitted within 30 days after the date on which the testing was completed.
- Tanks installed in sensitive geologic areas prior to January 1, 1995, submit results for containment sump testing by December 1, 2019
- Tanks installed in non-sensitive areas prior to January 1, 1994, submit results for containment sump testing by December 1, 2020
- Tanks installed in non-sensitive areas between January 1, 1995 and October 13, 2018, submit results for containment sump testing by December 1, 2021
- Containment sumps for tanks installed after October 13, 2018 must be tested upon installation and at least every three years after the installation is complete
Certified Sump Testing and Repair Technicians:
- Our technicians are certified to perform advanced and time efficient testing procedures on your containment sumps with equipment which supplies quantitative and record-able test results with less down time.
- Most importantly, our team of technicians and project managers are certified and experienced with the most advanced sump repair products and techniques available to ensure the work is done correctly and with minimal down time.